2007/12/22, Christian Seiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> PPS: Oh, yeah, if it should be legally necessary, I grant the right to
> anybody to use this patch under any OSI certified license you may want
> to choose.

That's very kind of you but, if I was explained right, you don't have
copyright on a patch. If I understood the legalese correctly, you retain
authorship on the code provided, but this kind of derived work, which has no
purpose outside the original, cannot be claimed through copyright. You
specially did it for the php codebase, and has not a meaning outside it.

Consider what happens to the code you make to maintain an in-house
application of a company. You cannot claim copyright on that codebase, it
remains to the company. But, if you were to develop an app from scratch for
the same company, the company has the right to use it in-house, but if they
want to distribute it, they have to require your consent, because you're one
of the copyright holders.

Also consider what happens to reviewers that check and correct works from
other people, such as syntax and grammar checking in literature, or code
reviewing in software. They can claim authorship on their corrections, but
they cannot claim copyright.

Anyway, it's too complicate. The bottom line is that copyright cannot be
claimed on patches. Which makes complete sense, imagine what would happen to
open-source if it wasn't this way... the licensing documentation would
occupy more than the code itself...