Hello Sam,

  and here goes the problem, some people here understand the issue a bit
better than others and some people actually do the work because they can and
are being respected for - just by their experience...

Either way there is a clear functional difference. The old array style
syntax looks like a function call, or a contructor. The new one makes one
thing clear, you will get an array.

marcus

> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 14:06 -0500, Olivier Hill wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 2008 1:47 PM, Sam Barrow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> > True. No one's vote is worth more than anyone else's, everybody should
>> > have equal say. Some people may know more about the PHP core, but we are
>> > all users and developers.
>>
>> Not when some write anything about everything without knowing anything
>> about nothing (makes sense?)

> True, however with something like this, it is simply a matter of
> opinion, not knowledge. [] and array() will have no functional
> differences.

>> > It is better to have input from people with a wide range of experience
>> > levels, it results in a fairer vote that actually represents the
>> > population, rather than putting PHP under the control of a select few.
>>
>> It is not under the control of anyone. The principle is: Contribute
>> and your voice will be louder. It's easy to have a CVS account, and
>> it's easy to fix some bugs and submit patches. That way, you prove
>> that your voice can count and that you at least know what you are
>> talking about (I'm not talking about you in particular, but any user
>> that wants to contribute and have a voting voice that counts)

> True

>> One way could be that votes from internal / phpdoc counts twice as
>> much as people that only leech this list. It's not controlling, but
>> being sure that future decision about the language are made
>> considering the opinions of people really knowing what's at stake.
>> Regards,
>> Olivier

Best regards,
 Marcus