Steph Fox wrote:
Hi Marcus,

 what I want is php-src as minimum you can depend on. And php-default as
release managers playground. The RM can then say what he thinks is mature
enough to make it into a release.

What _I_ want is a PHP core that is really core. By that I mean things like: date, spl, pcre, zlib, filter, simplexml, core-ish stuff such as PDO (no PDO drivers, unless we bundle SQLite as we could/should IMHO so there's a working DB for all), and underlying libs like libxml and mysqlnd that will make life easier for the many. I think what is distributed with PHP should be built-in and enabled by default, and it should include the basic essentials for making a simple website without anything else being added - and nothing more.

This opens another can of worms :(
Why include installation specific stuff in the core. MySQL was dropped as the default for a reason lets not reintroduce it. Not bothering much WITH MySQL ( other than ensuring that SQL generated in my projects will still run on it ) I see that this new mysqlnd module is intended to SUPPORT PDO. Is THIS the way forward, building native drivers that can be used via PDO or is it just a another indication that one needs both PDO and a native driver?

Everything else - the fashionistas (JSON, xmlreader/writer) and the downright useful for some but not all (fileinfo, json, com_dotnet, posix) and the quirky stuff (pretty much anything Sara came up with) - should be in PECL.

A release managers playground? Maybe we should look at PHP core + a 'recommended' PECL release that ships with it, and refer everyone to pecl.php.net/pecl4win.php.net for anything else.

This assuming the problems I listed earlier are dealt with, natch.

- Steph

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL