On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

> > Like I mentioned before (I think), it should not return an empty string of
> > course because programmatically it's not possible to check for this. As most
> > of our functions return false in those cases, so should this function.
>
> AFAIR false is not valid JSON, so it would break a lot of code. Also, I am not
> sure we should change json_encode to return false on whole structure if one of
> the fields contains invalid utf-8.

Of course we should make it possible to detect if there is broken data.
I think our normal mantra is "be strict with creating, be lenient while
parsing". Because we're generating data here, we should *abort* if we
find an error, and not return half baked results. To detect if we have
broken data, the option is to check a return value. As normally this
function returns a string, false (or null) is a good candidate for an
error-result.

regards,
Derick

--