On Mar 4, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Philip Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 The Google Summer of Code sponsors students to work on Open Source
 projects over each summer. This RFC introduces guidelines and goals
 involving how we handle the SoC process.
[snip="important info"]

    Philip (or anyone else who can answer);

    According to the information I've read (and I'll admit, I've
*heard* of the GSoC, but am by no means familiar with it), the
organization receives a small stipend as the representative group.  My
question is: how is this usually spent?

    The reason I ask is because I'd be very interested in mentoring a
student on a project if we can use this money to help move the RFC
Wiki (or similar) idea forward.  Besides, I'd be killing two birds
with one stone.... as it was, I was trying to figure out how I'd
afford the box and bandwidth as it is, because the Wiki idea - as I
think others may agree - is an excellent step toward the future of the
development of PHP.  So it's not an unselfish move on my part.

Hello Daniel,

Lack of funding is rarely a cause for such issues. Where there is a will, there is a free way. Many entities exist out there that are willing to donate boxes and bandwidth but people just need to find them.

The wiki is moving forward after delays for many reasons including unknowns about if PHP wants a wiki (some people hate them), our chaotic nature, and lack of time. Lukas is now working on the wiki and it already has a domain (wiki.php.net) and CVS module (php-wiki- web) and once it goes online I have a feeling other new tools will start evolving. Just a guess. These were created yesterday.

As for where the mentor SoC money goes, I think it finds its way towards random PHP user groups.

Regards,
Philip