Hello Internals,

  as of today PHP 5.3 uses a scanner based on re2c >= 0.13.3 (latest dev
version) instead of the outdated flex version we required so far. This in
particular means:

a) You need to get re2c 0.13.3 - when working on the language/ini scanner

b) You no longer need flex to build PHP 5.3

c) HEAD does not yet use re2c,  this will be done withint the next days

d) ATM --enable-zend-multibyte is not supported - We will add the
   functionality without the need for the switch within the next weeks

e) You need to run ./buildconf next time you do a cvs checkout of PHP_5_3

In case you are interested at a full patch:
http://php.net/~helly/php-re2c-5.3-20080316.diff.txt

In case you like to get more involved:
http://blog.somabo.de/2008/02/php-on-re2c.html

Care to help?

Write tests that use --enable-zend-multibyte or define how multibyte
support should work.

Best regards,
 Marcus, Scott, Nuno