Hi!

  since when can I not verify that my general HTML/XHTML structure is valid?

The question is since when PHP code has any XML structure?

This is especially valid in template systems as you mentioned earlier.

OK, so you are verifying templates. Great. Obviously, if you use XML templates (with PHP being Web language, this is rather unusual use case, but OK), you are not using short tags, so it's OK. However, for people having HTML templates, it still would be OK to verify them with HTML tools unless you have tools that OK with <?php but can't support <?=. Are there such tools?

Because in fact PHP is a tmeplate system for HTML/XHTML after all. So as

If it were only template system, we'd all use short tags as all other templates do - take Ruby, Perl::Mason, ASP or JSP, any of those have echo shortcut. None of those are too bothered if it works with XML parser either, as far as I can see.

long as I only do easy stuff and avoid generating tags inside php I get
valid XML source.

Wait, so it's not only special case of templates - XML - but special case of special case - only templates generating very special kind of content. So why the whole language syntax should conform this tiny subset of all use cases? I'd think it is much better to do what users obviously need - since everybody does it, including all popular template systems bare none - and support short tags.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]