Please (OH! Please!!!) read our answers, read the specs and understand
that many of us (if not the majority) have to work with xhtml or XML.

Working with XML does not requires putting XML through PHP parser. Even if it did, with my patch it works better than without - it allows to have both HTML templates and XML without needing even to touch configurations.

I often use xmllint or other w3c tools to verify that my xml/xhtml
code is valid, before being parsed by php:

Right, so _you_ are using XML templates. Don't do short tags then. Many other people, however, use HTML templates, and they are OK and actually want to use short tags.

Thanks for your understanding, there is no more argument on any side
and the decision is obvious (by the voices and by the arguments).

No, it is not obvious, unless you take "obvious" to mean "agreeing with you".
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]