The problem I have with <?= is it doesn’t really help simplify templating.
You end up still having to explicitly encode the output with
htmlspecialchars() or whatever.

<ul>
<? foreach ($items as $item): ?>
<li><?=htmlspecialchars($item)?></li>
<? endforeach ?>
</ul>

So <?= ends up not really that much of an improvement over <?php echo
htmlspecialchars($item); ?> imo.