On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Steph Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone have a good reason for keeping it switched on by default in PHP
> 5.3? Like, would switching it off by default break a lot of existing code,
> given that most users are a bit beyond PHP 3 now?

I've never understood the warning that switch throws:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ php -dallow_call_time_pass_reference=0 -r 'strpos(&$var,
0);'

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated;  If you
would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of
strpos().  If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference,
you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file.
in Command line code on line 1

However, turning it on will not throw any warning or deprecated notice, wtf?

I'd say throw the warning if the switch is on and someone does
call-time-pass-by-reference and turn that switch off by default.

-Hannes