Hi Hector,

As a new PHP extension author, it was one the first things I had to make sure was enabled to avoid the warning.

<huge snip />

May I suggest to make it [Extension] INI ready?

I explored this and it seem to work, but not sure if its really the case. It appears that adding it in my PHP.INI [extension_name] section appears to enabled the option only when the extension is loaded.

The more I look into this, the weirder it seems.

"The first issue that we raised was changing the E_NOTICE error for call-time-pass-by-reference to an E_ERROR, or simply throwing a parse error. We argued over this case and we decided to change this E_NOTICE to an E_STRICT instead as it was argued that there is nothing wrong with doing a call-time pass by reference."

http://php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#deprecated-behaviour

There's nothing wrong with it?

So why throw an error at all?

I have to say, I'm really confused over this. Either it's wrong, so you deliver a warning, or it's OK, so you don't. But what *really* bothers me is that the community seems to be under the impression that the rules changed with PHP 5, which is absolutely untrue. This threw an E_NOTICE under PHP 4.0 which has been shifted, first to E_STRICT (I haven't checked this) and then to E_DEPRECATED in 5.3.

All I know is it's slower in most (not all) situations. So the real question is: should there be a warning at all? And if so, shouldn't it be there by default?

- Steph