Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

On the ZendCon, we (Marcus, Elizabeth, Andi and myself) had a talk about what we'd like to do with namespaces, and we arrived at the following conclusions, which we propose to implement in 5.3:

1. Allow braces for namespaces. So, the syntax for namespaces will be:
a) namespace foo;
should be first (non-comment) statement in the file, namespace extends to the end of the file or next namespace declaration.
b) namespace foo {}
can appear anywhere on the top scope (can not be nested).
Mixing both syntaxes in one file is not possible. The semantics of both syntaxes will be identical.

2. Simplify resolution order for classes in the namespace: unqualified names are resolved this way: a) check "use" list if the name was defined at "use", follow that resolution
b) if not, the name resolves to namespace::name
Consequence of this will be that for using internal class inside namespace one would need to refer to it either as ::Foo or do use ::Foo prior to its usage.

3. Functions will not be allowed inside namespaces. We arrived to conclusion that they are much more trouble than they're worth, and summarily we would be better off without them. Most of the functionality could be easily achieved using static class methods, and the rest may be emulated with variable function names, etc.

Comments?

Figuring that you arrived at the same conclusion nearly three years ago regarding my namespace patch, and I also agreed that only classes should be allowed inside namespaces (http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=113320797607651&w=2), I am +1 for this proposal.

--

Jessie Hernandez
Zend Certified Engineer (http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND006359&r=222727282)