Lukas Kahwe Smith schreef:

> On 07.10.2008, at 20:18, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> What is the correct procedure to create a new driver, or rather clone
>> the existing php_interbase so that we can build a proper Firebird
>> version that actually uses the fbclient.dll rather than sharing the
>> now incompatible GDS32.DLL client. Some people are starting to use
>> Interbase in parallel with Firebird, but the driver can only access
>> one client :(

not that I give a **** about the windows interbase/firebird extension .. but ..
I do use firebird and all this talk of dropping firebird support is kind of
scary
(well really scary actually) ... I am able to configure php with
'--with-interbase'
in 5.3alpha2 so I guess I don't need to worry.

> IMHO new database extensions should not be permitted unless they come on
> the form of PDO drivers.

in the case of firebird this is a little unfair, the interbase extension
provides
an alias of every ibase_*() function in the form fbird_*() which were
specifically
included due to forseen divergence between the interbase and firebird clients.

effectively the extension for firebird already exists ... it just maps to the
interbase
function, if the fbird_*() aliases were removed and renamed copies the ibase_*()
extensions functions created that then were built against the firebird client
iso
the interbase client you'd pretty much be there. technically the [firebird]
extension
would be new but is that really a deal breaker given that the complete API
(fbird_*())
already exists?

PS - I've been trying to follow these firebird shannanigans but it's all been
a little too UPPER CASE for me to grok. :-/