What would happen if we give the namespace implementation a chance to mature is that it can be delivered as a fully-fledged language element rather than a partially-fledged and potentially flawed one.

What do you mean by "chance to mature"? Only chance for it to mature is people actually starting using it and not another week of discussing separators on internals.

OK, bad choice of terminology. I really mean "a chance for the likelier problems to be ironed out".

And people can't start using it if it's not only not released but there are developers rooting for it to be removed.

Suddenly nobody uses CVS? I think if we were to ask explicitly for namespace testers on php.net once there's a full implementation we're all reasonably happy with, we'd find them.

- Steph