On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:41 +0200, Jani Taskinen wrote:
> 1. Change ext/phar to be disabled by default

Is that the only case? We have a few new extensions, fileinfo is enabled
by default at the moment, hash is, sqlite3 is, ...

So the question is: What's the purpose of bundling extensions and what's
the risk? - In general I think the reason to bundle stuff is to make it
available as "default" stuff, so enabling by default makes sense. But
then we also have to enable more stuff without external dependencies
(mbstring, mysqlnd [1]) and we should consider enabling by default stuff
where header and libs are on most systems (like zlib) ... but then again
we get a really big beast as default config.

So, what's the right line?

> 2. Change ext/ereg to be disabled by default (scheduled to be removed in
>      PHP 6, iirc?)

kind of related to the previous thing, we should at least deprecate it,
removing has benefits as it's often insecure to use ereg (barely anyone
is aware of \0-Byte problems ...)

> 3. Remove ext/mhash (replaced by ext/hash)

isn't mhash just a compatibility wrapper on top of hash? Kicking that
out is bad for getting people to migrate to 5.3.

johannes

[1] Disclaimer: I'm paid by Sun/MySQL