Hi Brian,

----- Original Message -----
From: "shire"
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009

Hey Lukas,

Just a heads up that I should have a fix for this soonish, just running some more tests to make sure everything works as expected (I assume nobody else has started work on this):

9. tokenizer misses last single-line comment (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46817)

I was going to take care of that one, as I mentioned in a previous message, though it's been awhile since I've been delayed much longer with stuff here. :-( (Nothing set up for building PHP on this system yet; hope to in the next several hours finally, and do some things!)

As far as I know there's still the other comment-related issue where no Warning is giving about "Unterminated comment ..." for unclosed /* ... It's all of course related to the fundamental re2c issue, for now, where when the scanned input ends while a variable length part of a rule is being matched, it just aborts ("return 0;") in YYFILL().

And that applies to the case Lukas gave in the bug report: WHITESPACE pattern is variable length.

The comment issue just happens to be a more obvious thing that was noticed, and it doesn't affect actual correct code that ends with a fixed-length ";" or "?>" Some other bits that won't be returned if at the end of a file are T_LNUMBER, T_DNUMBER, T_STRING, T_VARIABLE, "The last part in unclosed double-quotes or backticks, 'An unclosed single quoted string, and so on, likely resulting in a different parse error than previous versions.

T_INLINE_HTML isn't affected by this because it's matched with a manual scan, rather than an re2c pattern. The manual scan may well have been used to work around re2c...? :-)

- Matt