Hi Christopher,

> What are notices?  Do they relate anything in other Databases?
> I.e. can a generic interface be implemented instead of a postgres
> specific one?

I'm not sure. Notices are non-error messages that can be triggered
during a query for informative purposes. For example CREATE TABLE
triggers some notices when sequences or indexes are automatically created:

test=# create table foo (id serial not null primary key);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "foo_id_seq" for
serial column "foo.id"
"foo_pkey" for table "foo"
CREATE TABLE

or they can be raised during a function call:

test=# CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS void AS $_$DECLARE i int; BEGIN FOR
i IN 1..3 LOOP RAISE NOTICE 'i = %', i; END LOOP; END;$_$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION
test=# SELECT foo();
NOTICE:  i = 1
NOTICE:  i = 2
NOTICE:  i = 3
 foo
-----

(1 row)

On PostgreSQL they require a special handler to be set to catch them,
but the default behaviour would be to ignore them because they are
usually not particularly interesting.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati