> No, not ok.  We will call the next release whatever we like.  People who
> have written books or articles about PHP 6 inferring they knew what the
> final state of PHP 6 would be were misguided.  We never got to the point
> of a final feature set much less a release date.

+1

There is going to be plenty of time (IMHO) between now and when PHP6
could be ready to start re-educating people so that it becomes less of
a problem. As for people who bought books on PHP6 well they should go
back to the publisher and ask for a refund.

If people have been writing code to be PHP6 ready then more fool them,
since its madness to try and write for a version of software which is
in constant flux. Anyone that I have discussed this with over the last
year have pretty much universally written code for PHP 5.3 in the hope
that the migration to PHP6 would be made more simple.

Marco