On 03/23/2010 09:32 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
>> On 03/23/2010 09:11 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I would rather have some kind of rules defined before opening trunk
>>> again (or the pandora box). That's what we are discussing right now.
>>> May I know why you choosed that now is the right time to do it and
>>> declare it open?
>>
>> We have rules.  Large features, write an RFC and we discuss it.  Small
>> and obvious improvements follow commit-then-review as before.  We don't
>> need more complicated rules than that.
>
> Right, but what I mean was about releases. But it seems that it is
> what Derick meant too. trunk remains trunk (development), not a
> release branch for a hypothetic version.
>
> How the next version will be done and when is another discussion. And
> I tend to agree with you about complex processes. However we do need
> to drastically improve the way we do or plan releases. It can be done
> without affecting the way we work, only the way we release and the
> releases frequency.

Releases have nothing to do with this.  trunk is where new development
happens.  Which parts end up in which releases is completely separate
from this.  Things may be backported to 5.3, or we do a 5.4 release
branch off of trunk at some point, or we charge ahead and do a full 6.0
off of trunk.  We won't know that until we get some work done in trunk,
and the first step is to have an open trunk.

-Rasmus