On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:51:23AM +0200, Johannes Schlter wrote:

> Removing magic_quotes would be soooooooooooo great. BUT the issue is
> that most users don't know about it. Many applications are more or less
> secure due to its existence. The apps aren't fully secure but a few less
> vectors.

One way to remove magic_quotes without opening massive quantities of
security holes would be implementing taint mode support
(http://wiki.php.net/rfc/taint) and having the default taint_error_level
be E_FATAL.

Yes, this creates a painful upgrade path for the multitudes using
insecure coding practices.  But it will hurt a lot less than having their
applications inadvertently subverted by hackers/crackers/spammers/etc due
to upgrading PHP.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/