On Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:44:44 am Michael Shadle wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Andrey Hristov <p...@hristov.com> wrote:
> > Yes, as the documentation will mention how to do it, for old
> > applications. For new apps it is easy - pass all the information you
> > need as parameter to the function. It works in other languages, why
> > shouldn't it work for PHP?
>
> named parameters would help here. otherwise you wind up with a mess of
> argument hell. or passing a single array in and then in the function
> parsing that for the items (which is what I do, sort of a userland way
> of doing named parameters)
>
> but adding more and more parameters to functions over time leads to
> issues if they do not have default values and if you have to pass say,
> the 6th parameter, but don't need to pass the rest, etc.

It seems like something like this bundled by default could provide an
alternative to the super-globals:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/book.http.php

Note: I have not actually used said library, just drooled over having a
properly abstracted HTTP object for incoming and outgoing communication.

--Larry Garfield