Just wanted to say, that I managed to reproduce your results for
./PHP_5_4/ext/session/tests/rfc1867_invalid_settings.phpt by adding
date.timezone=UTC
error_log=file
settings into --INI-- section, this way test passes. I.e. logged
message should go into the file and do not mess the output which is
grabbed by the test and date.timezone setting prevents another startup
warning about unconfigured timezone.
Hope it helps.

2011/9/12 Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com>:
> I forget to reply-all to the list :/
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On 9/12/11 3:14 AM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
>>>
>>> you should pass both -n and -c as the make test pass those to the
>>> run-tests.php AFAIK, see:
>>
>> That's not what I see happening.
>>
>>> as I mentioned above, you should have the -n -c arguments, if you
>>> don't then this can cause the differencies.
>>
>> That's not what I see run-tests is doing.
>>
>>> what do you mean by "my php.ini"? for the test runs you shouldn't use
>>> any external php.ini, as it can cause differences between the test
>>> results.
>>>

>> Maybe it shouldn't, but that's what happens. It doesn't use neither -c nor
>> -n option.
>
> before we continue further with debugging, could someone else verify
> my reasoning, or repeat the those test steps?
> I'm pretty sure that the make test/run-test.php should run the tests
> without any external php.inis except the tmp-php.ini (passing -n -c
> tmp-php.ini).
> it is a possibility that Stas somehow borked up his environment, but
> as the gcov machine also generated the same output (at least for those
> session tests) I would like to know that what causes this different
> behavior for Stas and me, and which is the correct.
> thanks.
>
> --
> Ferenc Kovács
> @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu