On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/2011 03:47 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
> > A, it will report every test failure, but we fix all of our tests so we
> > are cool. (my preference)
>
> But even if we do that, when a test does fail, it may take a couple of
> days to fix it. It would be nice if we didn't get an internals email for
> every commit that triggers a build during that time. So even in this
> ideal case I think the notification mechanism needs to be smarter.
>
> -Rasmus

using the email-ext plugin:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Email-ext+plugin one can bind
email notification on the following events:
- Failure
- Unstable
- Still-Failing
- Success
- Fixed
- Still-Unstable
- (Before-Build)

So we could configure to only send emails on Failure and Fixed(I ignored
the Unstable on purpose for the sake of simplicity, of course we also use
this for option C).
That way we would only see the notification on the first error, and the
next mail would be when we finally fixed it.
This is still suboptimal, as we wouldn't get email notifications about the
other test failures introduced between the first failure and the fix, but I
think that having a failed build would mean that somebody/everybody is
working on fixing the build, so those test failures would also be
spotted(on the web interface) and fixed (without that, the build won't
succeed).

I almost forget to mention, but the email notification also supports
defining different recipients for each event, so for example the commiters
could still get the notification for each of their commits/builds until the
build is back to normal, that way the list wouldn't be spammed, but some
active contributors would be still continuously bugged.

How does it sounds to you?

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu