Sent from my iPad
On Dec 22, 2011, at 5:51 PM, "Ángel González" <keis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your examples only show class methods with visibility qualifyiers, and
> looking at the changes to zend_language_parser.y
> it seems as if would only be available for methods. Wouldn't return
> hints be available for plain functions?

Right now, it's only available for methods. Personally, I'm not a fan
of return types for functions. Adding this for functions in its form
today will also introduce shift/reduce issues.

> In functional programming, it is common to return nullable types:
> returns an instance of class Foo or null, an array or false, etc.
>
> This is supported in normal arguments with the "= null" hint, and I
> think there should be something equivalent for return types.
> Does the proposed implementation allow null everywhere? (there's an
> example of returning null from a return hint of array)
> That seems wrong to me. Unless there's a way to make it strict (eg.
> array! for only arrays).

Most modern languages allow returning null in any case. This is a hail
Mary in the event something happens, but throwing an exception is
inappropriate. I see no reason to diverge from that.