hi Rasmus,

As the ini_all option sounds appealing, I can imagine ISPs willing to
do not allow their users to change this value, and that's something I
would not allow random users either.

I'd to go with the optional argument, adding a clear in the
documentation about the confusing error message.

Cheers,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
> It is somewhat unintuitive that parse_str() is subject to the
> max_input_vars limitation and there are sites that use parse_str() to
> parse things that aren't directly coming from user query args.
> There arr two ways to solve this. We could add an optional max_vars arg
> something along these lines:
>
> https://gist.github.com/2038870
>
> The other way to solve this would be to make max_input_vars PHP_INI_ALL
> and then just let people ini_set() their way around the limit.
>
> The one drawback with the optional arg approach is that since
> parse_str() is a thin layer on top of the query string parser, the error
> if you exceed the passed max_vars talks about the ini setting which in
> this case wouldn't really be correct and fixing that would be complicated.
>
> -Rasmus
>
> --

Pierre