On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Luke Scott <l...@cywh.com> wrote:

> > Obviously, it would need to be at the top of the PHP file (whitespace
> > notwithstanding).  Since we don't want any BC breaks, we at very least
> need
> > it to start with "<?" so that we don't end up parsing anything that
> wasn't
> > mean to be parsed.  So how about we keep it simple and just use a single,
> > "<?phpp" at the beginning of the file?  No ?> would be allowed after
> that.
> > Anything before that (in the file itself) would also be ignored and
> throw a
> > warning.
>
> Remember, <?xml tags. I think <? By itself was deprecated for this reason.

Bah, right!  That damned <?xml tag....

I already know what everyone's reaction will be, and it is probably a
REALLY bad idea, but I feel obligated to at least mention it:  Should we
consider replacing "<?..." with something that doesn't conflict with
anything, perhaps starting in PHP 6?  No need to get out the torches and
pitchforks, everyone!  As insane and problematic as that would be (i.e. BC
break with roughly 1/3 of the internet lol), I felt as though the subject
should at least be broached.  ;P

> > This sounds like the best approach, given the limitations involved with
> > webserver configurations.  I'm still very much against though allowing ?>
> > within one of these files (included or otherwise), as it really defeats
> the
> > whole purpose and would just encourage poor architecture without any
> > countervailing benefit.
>
> Agreed. Disallowing ?> in a file in pure code means only one <?php tag
> at the top.
>

> A flag on require/include is acceptable to me, as long as the default
> mode is configurable in the php.ini file (when none are specified).

Perhaps we should split that into a separate RFC?  I.e. a require flag that
tells it to parse the included PHP file as pure PHP, regardless of whether
or not it has the <?phpp tag.  I'm not sure if this would be
workable/necessary or not, but it's different enough that I think splitting
it off into a separate proposal would probably make the most sense.