My original goal was to stop typing <?php in pure code files. That
includes at the top. I think it's entirely reasonable to achieve it
with an option to the require keywords for this purpose and a naming
convention to be followed by autoloaders. Keep in mind how rarely you
have to change them. We're talking about code maintained by a
relatively small number of very sharp developers. They can handle a
few flags (:

The prohibition of ?> still seems unnecessary and perhaps divisive,
but if it were preferable to the majority to prohibit ?> in a pure
code file, I could live with that as long as classic PHP files are
also 100% supported and remain the default. I'm trying to craft a
broadly acceptable compromise that still achieves the original goal of
allowing people to write "just code" in a class file.

--
Tom Boutell
P'unk Avenue