On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Luke Scott <l...@cywh.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> On 4/9/12 3:17 PM, "Tom Boutell" <t...@punkave.com> wrote:
>
> >My original goal was to stop typing <?php in pure code files. That
> >includes at the top. I think it's entirely reasonable to achieve it
> >with an option to the require keywords for this purpose and a naming
> >convention to be followed by autoloaders. Keep in mind how rarely you
> >have to change them. We're talking about code maintained by a
> >relatively small number of very sharp developers. They can handle a
> >few flags (:

Again though, the problem here is that you're relying on the
*including*script to determine whether a PHP script is pure or not;
i.e. this approach
leaves no way for that to be determined in the file itself.  For example, I
can see perfectly valid instances where it would be ideal to execute one of
these pure scripts as a direct call to the webserver-- AJAX being a prime
example.  I.e. cases where you want backend PHP processing to take place
but it has to be accessed via the browser (most likely "hidden" as an AJAX
query though).

So without the ability to do that, I just don't think this passes the
usefulness test for me.  And if we do have the ability to specify that in
the file, on the other hand, then that would pretty much eliminate the need
for a require flag anyway.

The only alternative I can see would be to allow something to be passed in
the headers telling the webserver to parse a script as PHP instead of
HTML.  But I don't know if that would be extremely simple or extremely
problematic.

--Kris