On 14.06.2012, at 1:31, Nikita Popov wrote:

> So, wouldn't it be better if PHP provided an easy to use API for
> secure password hashes natively? So you just have to call a single
> function, which magically handles everything for you (like salt
> generation).
>
> A simple sample API could be two functions password_hash($password)
> and password_hash_verify($password, $hash). But it could just as well
> be a fancy, extensible OOP API.

I guess SCrypt binding could be implemented.
http://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt.html

That's the best available option at the moment.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1226513/whats-the-advantage-of-scrypt-over-bcrypt

It is BSD-licensed, so we can easily bundle it with PHP

For the reference, here's the Python binding:
https://bitbucket.org/mhallin/py-scrypt/src