Hi Anthony,

i think your RFC is very good!

I like the idea to have PBKDF2 implementation that is able to act, at
the same time, as secure hash value generator (without the length
parameter) and as key derivation function (with the length parameter).
I think we should be consistent with the API of Hash functions of PHP
and use the raw_output = false to generate hex string and raw_output =
true to generate  binary output.
If folks need to convert the output to Base64 they can easily use
base64_encode($output) where $output is generated with raw_output =
true.
I don't think this is a big deal.
I also agree to insert this function in PHP 5.4, actually in this
implementation we reused other hash functions of PHP and the tests for
PBKDF2 are fully specified in PKCS #5 test vectors that you used in
your patch test.

Very nice job!

Regards,
Enrico