hi Anthony!

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would update the RFC with the current available algorithms or
>> recommended to be used (depending on the usage or goal).
>
> When you say "currently available algorithms", are you talking about
> the hash library as a whole? Or recommended for use with PBKDF2? Or
> other iterated stretching algorithms similar to PBKDF2?

The algos recommended to use with PBKDF2.

>> About adding this to 5.4, I do not think it should be done. This is
>> not a small change and it may require more testing, both for the
>> implementations or the API (while it is fairly simple as of now :).
>> php-next is next year anyway.
>
>  I can see some advantage to adding it to 5.4, but I can also
> see some disadvantages. So I leave that decision to others (such as
> yourself).

There are always advantages to do it. But they do not help the big
picture. However, besides what I said earlier, fast releases of
features, 100% BC releases will ease the move to newer versions,
faster than the horrible situation we have now. If we keep merging
features, nobody will migrate, ever or until they have no other
choices.

Cheers,
--
Pierre