Hello again,

I have put together a quick proof-of-concept for the password API.

C:

https://github.com/ircmaxell/php-src/blob/hash_password/ext/standard/password.c

PHP (Implemented as a backwards-compatibility layer, so 5.3/5.4 users
can use the API earlier):

https://github.com/ircmaxell/password_compat/blob/master/lib/password.php

It needs some work before it's ready for an RFC, but it works as intended.

Right now, it defines 3 functions:

password_create($password, $algo = PASSWORD_DEFAULT, array $options = array())
password_verify($password, $hash)
password_make_salt($length, $raw_output = false)

Some of the things I want to change include the ability to set the
default bcrypt and sha* cost/round parameters via a php.ini setting
(right now, it's just a c constant). I also want to refactor it a bit
to clean it up. I also need to test it out fully... I also don't care
for the amount of PHP function calls it makes
(zend_call_method_with_n_params). But that may be ok, given the

What do you think so far?

Anthony