On 20.07.2012, at 12:33, Ivan Enderlin @ Hoa wrote:

> Making braces optional for try/catch does:
> + not break backward compatibility;
> + add consistency in the PHP syntax;
> ± offer a new way to write buggy programs but no more than with other control
> structures (think about goto ;-)).
>
> I see more + than - here. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong. This is the inconsistency and it makes sense to fix it.
We are definitely not going to "unfix" it for if/else, so I "+1" your proposal
in advance

> Moreover, in parallel, a new idea has been landing: introducing the “rescue”
> keyword as a shortcut/replacement of try/catch, such as:
> $foo = callThatCouldThrow() rescue 'oof';
> Is it possible to chain it, such as:
> $foo = callThatCouldThrow() rescue anotherCallThatCouldThrow() rescue 'oof?';
>
> Maybe we should start another topic because it could be a nice idea.

I don't see value in this. "finally" would be much more valuable.

try {
    doSomething();
} catch (\Exception $e) {
    handleException();
} finally {
    genericCleanup() // called if everything is good, if everything is bad or
even if exception is rethrown
}