> **
> The overall mood seems to be that since PHP has an error handler, everyone
> is free to handle errors any way they want.
> 2) When everyone starts handling errors in their own way with error
> handlers, you can't reliably use third party code. You are in your own
> universe.

I think that's the main point that makes any change to the way PHP
currently handles errors difficult:

The current behavior is to continue the execution flow (except for fatal
errors of course) whereas an exception always breaks it. Throwing an
exception, either in a custom or in a new internal handler, introduces a
major portability + backward compatibility issue.

But do you think it could be possible to introduce a per script declaration
of the way it has been coded regarding error handling ?
We could imagine for example that any script that is coded assuming
exceptions instead of errors could be force to declare with a :

<?php declare(throw_errors=1); ?> or maybe : <?php
declare(throw_errors=E_WARNING | E_NOTICE /* | ...*/);

> 1) PHP Errors come with a severity code and a string message. You want to
> handle specific errors in a specific way? You better start writing giant
> regexes parsing the string messages.

This is a problem that could also be addressed with the current error
handling mechanism: that would require that any error comes with some
unique number for example. Is this possible? Independently of the exception
vs classical error discussion, that would be amazing.

Regards,
Nicolas