Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
    Using third party code - joomla - only difference between working and not
    working is switching E_STRICT on. With display_errors=off one gets a white
    screen. I was not surprised as I've had this all the way through with code
    from many sources. Yes a lot of the time you just get the error messages,
    but a white screen crash has been the norm most of the time so leaving
    display_errors=on helps while fault finding on the development systems.

usually most people set display_errors=off but log_errors = on and just check
the logfiles for errors.
there is no point bothering your users with messages they won't understand or
could be able to do anything about, plus it is usually a security vulnerability
(Information Leakage).

I know all about that side of things ... now I just need to recreate what has been giving me white screens ... having spent a year getting rid of them.

GOT IT ...
Or at least a white screen, but of cause now that some things have been pointed out then it's obvious what is going on! 12 months on I can see things differently!
It is a fatal
'PHP Fatal error:  Cannot make static method ... non static'
at least on this white screen.

The base library has some 'static' references but the descendent classes don't. Having updated some core libraries, the rest of the code is out of sync. But I've managed to pick up a back version that is full of 'deprecated' errors as well. So I need to scroll forward a bit so that I only have E_STRICT differences. I'm fairly sure now that it's the missing 'static' references in PEAR that start some of the confusion on this. I needed a clean strict version of PEAR as the base classes for some areas. And then make sure I don't access that with other websites that have yet to be 'upgraded'.

Joomla may be failing over if it's picking up the wrong central libraries? Not having using it before I'll need to check what is picking up centrally.

And the error log growing at 40 time the size of the access log is not encouraging from a maintenance viewpoint :( Hiding errors is all very well, but the error log still needs to be usable in production.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL