> What concerns me with the current implementation is that it leaks many
> implementation details, in particular the fact that the accessors are
> implemented as *real* __getXYZ methods and automatic implementations
> also use *real* $__XYZ properties.

Further to this, take the following example.

public $_state {
    set { ... }
}

This automatically generates a "hidden" function __set_state(), which
is a magic method already (and should be declared static, and take an
array as it's only parameter)

Another fine example of how automatically generating *real*
implementations can potentially break things.