Hi,

> We put ext/mysql in a (security) bug fix maintenance mode only
> years ago. Too many ignore those attempts to get rid of ext/mysql.

Maybe it's time to put it into full non-maintenance mode then?

I believe MySQL is one of the on-by-default extensions when you
compile PHP blindly (as I'm sure many do), why not make it require
enabling specifically during build configuration, along with an
end-of-script message that states the extension is no longer
maintained (not even security fixes).

> 2. The next release (5.6 or 6) would add deprecation errors to the code.

I think a major version jump would be a good enough excuse to just
drop it entirely ;)

I'd like to see your list moved up one peg though. If you're going to
official deprecate in the docs, why would you wait until the next
version to add deprecation notices to the code? In my opinion the more
visible we make it now (and sooner we get all of the whining out of
the way) the better it will be for all parties.

So I'd like to see deprecation errors in 5.5, and removal in 5.6 which
is still at least around 18 months away (if we estimate based on the
time between 5.4 and 5.5).