Ralf Lang wrote:
Unmaintained Software will retain unfixed bugs, unfixed security
holes and ultimately break because of external changes. the mysql
extension maintainers do not want to or cannot support the extension for
much longer.

Is there anything drastic that still needs to be fixed in the current version of the extension? Can't we just start developing a 'legacy' build which will be available as an fallback and something that others can lightly maintain in terms of any critical security stuff? The idea of an LTS version has been continually shot down, but having something that can reliably run legacy code and where working versions of 'eol' extensions like mysql can be stored, rather than the vague hit and miss situation currently where we as developers have no idea what an ISP's setup may be using versions wise? I make no apology for repeating that this SHOULD have been done before PHP5.3 was pushed out and I would be interested to see if there IS any interest in reopening PHP5.2 as a legacy platform, as certainly 5.3/4 do not provide that base! At least it would provide a reference point to work from.

Crib sheets of information on how to move code from the legacy base to the current build are then easier to develop while currently if PHP5.2 code has not been 'updated to' 5.3, then moving it two or now three versions is even more painful. And we still do not have good references of how code SHOULD be built nowadays. Certainly my own code bases are apparently archaic but just fixing E_STRICT warnings does not produce clean PHP5.4 code, just bodged 5.? stuff :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL