Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
We need a frontpage notice. A big notice in the next UPGRADING file.
There was nothing about this in the 5.4 UPGRADING file, for example. We
also need tutorials showing how to migrate from mysql to mysqli and
conference talks on the same showing some of the cooler things like
async queries that you get by moving to a more modern API.

This sounds like a much more realistic approach to the problem. The only way that E_DEPRECATED would work practically is if it was a separate E_MYSQL_EOL since there are other more important warnings that would be hidden simply to maintain mysql? But it's not just migration tutorials that are lacking, we STILL need some good quality PHP5.4 style guides! Showing how to migrate from pre PHP5.2 style working ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL