hi Anthony,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Actually, no it wouldn't. You still get the overhead of the error, plus
>> > any custom error handlers will be triggered regardless of the
>> > error_reporting setting which depending on the implementation of the
>> > error handler can be quite costly performance-wise.
>> >

>> So what solution is there to this? Should it not be deprecated? This same
>> issue (is still happening) with register_globals for us, but it's
>> acceptable as it has been phased out.  Should there be no deprecation
>> warning now and wait for a future release?
>>

> That's my suggestion. Officially deprecate it, but don't add E_DEPRECATED
> to it in 5.5. Update the documentation, and start a PR campaign to get off
> it. Then in NEXT add E_DEPRECATED and in NEXT+1 remove it.

This does not make sense, at all.

We introduce this flag and used it already a lot in many parts of PHP
(engine included) for this exact purpose. Most major apps have mysqli
support or provide working solutions to support mysqli, incl. for
plugins (like wordpress, which is likely to support mysqli in Q2
2013).

Not adding the E_DEPRECATED flag would be a mistake and will only add
more confusions by the time we will move it out.

Cheers,
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye