On 01/23/2013 01:15 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:

> About opcode cache complexity, I think apc per se is full of things we
> should simplify or drop as features to make the code base much smaller
> and much easier to test and valid, we have discussed that already and
> we disagreed. But this is a topic I really want to bring on the table
> before we even consider bringing it in core (see other requests about
> that).

You completely changed the subject. I made no mention of opcode cache
complexity.

As far as I am concerned, the way to handle opcode cache simplification
is to attack it from both ends. A lot of the tricks that need to be done
in APC are because the compiler isn't really geared towards opcode
caching. To really simplify APC we need to simplify the compiler and
obviously make the corresponding changes to the executor. The things you
want to remove from APC are superficial things and are not the root
cause of the complexity. Things like the compiler spitting out
context-sensitive op_arrays (see the MAKE_NOP() tricks in
zend_compile.c) really make life difficult for an opcode cache.

But yes, I completely agree that this is a much more interesting problem
that I think we should be working on rather than more OO candy.

-Rasmus