> Can we stop calling things "new shiny features" as if that means
anything? It's
> empty rhetoric. When you treat your users like unintelligent noobies who
are
> just going to hang themselves when you give them a rope, then that's the
type
> of users you will end up with.

If it doesn't mean anything, why does it bother you?

You don't need to be dumb to appreciate simplicity, and you can be very
intelligent and still appreciate complexity.  The people behind J2EE were
all exceptionally smart.

PHP has become the most popular Web language in existence WITHOUT these
features.  Most users couldn't care less about them.  They're happy
without them.  They're happ*ier* without them.  They'd rather a faster PHP
that did exactly the same thing it does today - and not a slower one with
more features that's more difficult to learn and debug.  The whole concept
of 'WE MUST ADD THIS TO PHP OR ELSE' is ludicrous in my opinion.  PHP is
doing well, and many of the people who opposed this RFC are responsible
for steering it that way.

Zeev