Zeev Suraski in php.internals (Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:50:14 +0200):
>PHP has become the most popular Web language in existence WITHOUT these
>features.  Most users couldn't care less about them.  They're happy
>without them.  They're happ*ier* without them.  They'd rather a faster PHP
>that did exactly the same thing it does today - and not a slower one with
>more features that's more difficult to learn and debug.

De spijker op z'n kop, as the saying over here in Amsterdam is. There
are two reasons why I try to change to PHP 5.4 once in a while:
1. In my testing it is a little bit (10%) faster than PHP 5.3.
2. PHP 5.3 will be out of support (even security related) much too soon.
Every time I try to upgrade to 5.4, I have to revert it because I run
into another drupal module that is not yet adapted to PHP 5.4. Two weeks
ago I was once again confronted with errors under PHP 5.4. The module,
responsible for the error: Content Access.
http://drupal.org/node/1533186

I am one of the lucky guys that can instantly switch between PHP 5.3 and
PHP 5.4 on all servers we hire or own. Centos 5, Centos 6, Windows 2008
R2: all have a dual setup with PHP 5.3 as mod_php and PHP 5.4 as PHP-FPM
(Centos) or mod_fcgid (Win 2k8). So I switched our drupal7 sites back to
PHP 5.3 for the third or fourth time during the last 6 months.

Zeev Suraski in php.internals (Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:22:38 +0200):
>I think many of us are purely and simply totally out of sync with our
>users. I have no immediate solution but this is something we must solve,
>now.

Sadly enough, but true. Just read the comments by Thomas Bley, Florin
Patan and even Lester Caine in this thread. I was really appalled by the
outcome of the PHP 5.3 end-of-life vote. Reality check: Drupal6 is not
and probably never will be running smoothly under PHP 5.4. Drupal7 is
behaving better, but if somebody asks me what would be the best choice
for Drupal7 at the moment I'll advise PHP 5.3 without any hesitation.
Only concern: PHP 5.3 will be without security updates within a year and
some months.

I will not repeat the mantra about the slow adaptation of PHP 5.3 and
5.4. But think of it: PHP 5.2 was declared end-of-life 753 days ago...

Another point of view for US-citizens: many of our sites deal with
patient information and therefore we are bound by HIPAA-restrictions.
Quote from
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html

|Transmission Security. A covered entity must implement technical
|security measures that guard against unauthorized access to e-PHI
|that is being transmitted over an electronic network

Running those sites on a PHP version without security updates is
out-of-the-question.

I really appreciate all the work that is put into PHP by internals, but
please keep in mind that the vast majority of users is covered by
frameworks like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal et cetera. And especially the
frameworks with lots of user-contributed extensions, plugins or modules
are bound to be lagging years behind PHP core development.

Jan