To be honest, it looks like __toString() was just added in there for the
sake of it without any real thought as to what casting an entier
SplFileObject to a string. This to me implies the entire object( i.e: the
entire file ) should be returned as a string rather than aliasing it to a
method because why would you cast something to a string if you can call
->current() anyway.

Since it's been baked into the object for some time now it can't even be
changed now.

I'd try to avoid this casting magic and stick with ->current() if you
actually mean it.

Thanks,
Paul Dragoonis.