I also agree that we don't need to fix this, nor break BC. It is confusing
as hell but it's there now and changing it would be more disruptive.

Is there a desire from anyone to gracefully throw E_DEPRECATED in a future
version of PHP 5.x when someone tries to __toString() the SplFileObject but
only get back a single line ?

That's the only "plan forward" I can see feasible if we decided to do
anything, otherwise we should move on.