Thanks for the feedback. I get most people here don't appreciate the value of
the feature.

I can understand that If you haven't tried to write a tool like capistrano,
rspec, chef, puppet, etc, etc in PHP you probably won't see much value in
implementing such things.

On 19 Feb 2013, at 13:19, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Marcello Duarte wrote:
>
>> Inspired by Sara, here is another RFC, I finally got around to draft:
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/short-syntax-for-anonymous-function
>
> I'd be really reluctant to add this -- it's yet another (superfluous)
> syntactical sugar, there is no patch, and how does this work with bound
> variables (use keyword)?

I added an example with the use keyword.

What is superfluous for is useful for other users. It would be useful building
DSL. At my company we use loads of ruby tools for deploying, provisioning, etc.
just because of the DSL they provide. The array short syntax was great news.
Adding a short syntax for closures would make it possible to write such scripts
in PHP – where the syntax would not stand on its way.

On 19 Feb 2013, at 13:28, Patrick ALLAERT wrote:
>> BC break detected:
>>
>> <?php
>> {
>>    echo "foo\n";
>>    return "bar";
>> };
>>
>> echo "baz\n";
>> return 42;
>> ?>

I am actually more concerned with Patrick's feedback regarding BC. I can't
think of a solution for this right now.