Hi Marcello,

Am 19.02.2013 um 14:51 schrieb Marcello Duarte <mdua...@inviqa.com>:

> Thanks for the feedback. I get most people here don't appreciate the value of
> the feature.
>
> I can understand that If you haven't tried to write a tool like capistrano,
> rspec, chef, puppet, etc, etc in PHP you probably won't see much value in
> implementing such things.
>
> On 19 Feb 2013, at 13:19, Derick Rethans wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Marcello Duarte wrote:
>>
>>> Inspired by Sara, here is another RFC, I finally got around to draft:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/short-syntax-for-anonymous-function

I don’t like the syntax, but the proposal in general. If you compare PHPs
syntax to various others, it is indeed clumsy.

Python:
map(lambda v: v * 2, [1, 2, 3])

Ruby:
[1, 2, 3].map{|x| x * 2}

Scala:
List(1, 2, 3).map((x: Int) => x * 2)

PHP:
array_map(function ($x) {return $x * 2;}, [1, 2, 3]);

So even a statically typed language like Scala is shorter and better to read. A
good improvement would be implicit return and getting rid of the function
keyword.

array_map(($x): $x * 2;, [1, 2, 3]);

But this RFC should come with a patch, otherwise we are discussing things that
aren’t necessarily easy to implement.

cu,
Lars