Hello, didn't read the whole thread, just a few messages at the start. But
because I'm replying to the starting message, it's not relevant :)

In principle, as a user-land developer, I agree with the motion. It's too
much fancy new shiny stuff lately and no actual improvement on the old
stuff that really needs fixing or updating/rewriting (PDO anyone? Years
behind every db driver extension there is in PHP, and as far as I'm
concerned - it should be dropped and concentrate on standardize the db
extension public API).
As far as I see, there is technical debt piling up and except the actual
core developers no one understands that - people just spawn RFC's like
crazy. As it was said countless times - PHP core team lacks resources to
fix many issues that are already there and new stuff just makes it worse.

Actually, if I was a core team member (sadly C is not my love and most of
the stuff I want to change requires actual coding), I would push a motion
to temporary suspend accepting RFC's that introduce new features and devote
release after 5.5 to fixing and rewriting the old stuff and bug fixing. And
that can prove to be a much more positive that just new features. I think
with last two releases there was ton of stuff added and it will take time
to actually grasp it and start using it. Hell, I like traits, but I can't
put a finger on how to use them at the moment. And it will take me some
considerable time to actually find a place for them and integrate them into
my work so that they fit just right. Late static binding? Hell, still
didn't use it at all. Anonymous functions - yeah, this one is all over my
code now (of course not just for the sake of it) and some other recent
stuff I use too.
Ok, I have to stop mumbling. What I wanted to say - it will take time for
developers, community, frameworks and hosting companies to catch up with
the stuff that was introduced in 5.3, 5.4 and will be in 5.5. To my opinion
there should be a pause in new additions and time taken to take care of the
old stuff that needs love, some need it desperately.

Thanks,
Arvids.