On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 01:01 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

> This is where I think we have a big disconnect. This yearly release plan
> is meaningless for most people because there is no way the current
> opcode cache situation can keep up with that. PHP 5.4 wasn't really
> released until APC was mostly stable with it which was 6+ months after
> the release.

That's why having a builtin opcode cache should be a long term goal.
And that's why it will be done this way. All other ways failed.

> In order to actually get the project onto a feasible yearly release
> cycle we need to pool the few resources we do have around a single
> opcode cache implementation and push it as the one and only option as it
> will force each new shiny feature to tackle opcode support from day one

Exactly.

Now, about the yearly release, every single person I talked to love it
and want us to keep with this cycle, as well as the more frequent bugs
fixes releases. One thing we have to slightly change is to push too
many new features in each of them, but we will get there.

cheers,
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye