Zeev Suraski wrote:
Of course I do, but I would say that saying 5.4 is 'extremely incompatible
with 5.3' is also nitpicking.  Which is why I doubt 5.5 will see
dramatically different adoption rates from 5.4.  If anything, having O+
inside 5.5 would help - although personally I think that the reason people
aren't upgrading to 5.4 isn't just the fact APC wasn't available.  It's
simply not a priority for them as earlier versions are already doing
everything they need, and if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Code which originated in pre 5.3 days and has had the faults hidden when running on 5.3 still needs work to run on 5.4. If the faults were fixed in 5.3, then it's more likely to run on 5.4 even with e_strict off. I have yet to get a legacy site that does not need a few hours work to get it running again in 5.4. I've still another 60 odd to work through and some of them still use things removed in 5.4. The hassle with <?= stopping working is a good example of the sort of thing which affects confidence in upgrading!

The reality is that one simply can't switch existing code between versions of PHP without first checking it, and checking every site take time. We are having to test on 5.3 because that is what ISP's are moving to, while it would be nice simply to skip that step and go straight to 5.4. Having moved to 5.3 then it still leaves a question - do you switch on the hidden stuff and see if it can be tidied up? It's finding the time to clean up all of the hidden warnings that is the killer :(

Finding time to test everything again in 5.5 is simply not going to happen this end, and I'm more than happy with eaccelerator in production. Everything is running stability so why should I be wasting all this time anyway? The paying customers simply expect their sites to work ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL